I am the biggest proponent of hydrating while drinking, to the point where I’ve been cut off from ordering water at bars, but never liquor. Naturally, when I was given the opportunity to test out BrightFox’s Hydration Beverage, I was intrigued. BrightFox markets its beverage as “eco-friendly, healthy hydration for a brighter tomorrow.” Made with vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and antioxidants, their mixers are meant to keep you hydrated while drinking and help ward off that nasty hangover the next day.
I have the Cucumber Mint Sparkling flavor, but they also offer Blueberry Vanilla and Grapefruit Ginger flavors, all in either still or sparkling variety. What stood out most to me about the Cucumber Mint flavor was the bottle. The sleek black silhouette paired with neon yellow print draws you to the product. It almost looks like it would be an energy drink or something conventionally bad for you, which makes it even more enjoyable when you find out it’s made for your benefit. Plus, their bottles are aluminum, which means less CO2 emission and easy recyclability, so they’re better for the environment as well.
On their website, BrightFox suggests pairing the Cucumber Mint flavor with gin, so I started there. I’m a massive fan of gin, so having that added flavor of cucumber and mint was welcomed. I also dabbled with tequila, which paired nicely with the mixer as well. While these basic mixed drinks were great on their own, I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could come up with a cocktail using BrightFox.
After a few failed attempts, including a way too sweet strawberry syrup and an unwanted addition of lemon juice, I finally nailed it. I’m not an intricate cocktail bartender, I serve a few Old Fashioneds and Manhattans per night, so I was incredibly proud when I created not only a drinkable but delicious cocktail. The drink is sweet, super refreshing, and has some wonderful complex flavors. The best part is, once the syrup is made, it’s relatively simple to throw together. To me, it is the perfect summer cocktail for a backyard dinner with friends or to enjoy while cooking or grilling. With all of that said, I present to you, The Garden Fox.
The Garden Fox With BrightFox Hydration
- 5 Mint Leaves
- 1 oz Cantaloupe Simple Syrup
- 1 ½ Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 ½ Cup Diced Cantaloupe
- 2 oz Dry Gin
- 2.5 oz Cucumber Mint BrightFox
- For Cantaloupe Simple Syrup
- Add water and sugar to a medium saucepan on high heat.
- Bring to a boil
- Once boiling, add cantaloupe and stir to combine
- Lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes
- The syrup should be light orange and cantaloupe should be soft and darker in color
- Use a mesh strainer to strain into a jar
- Let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours or cool with an ice bath if needed
- For The Garden Fox
- Add mint leaves and cantaloupe simple syrup to a cocktail glass
- Gently muddle, 5-10 seconds
- Add gin and ice
- Top with BrightFox Cucumber Mint
- Stir for 10-15 seconds, until combined
- Add cucumber slice for garnish